Image Map

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Reading Organization

I have spent many hours browsing the web for ideas on how to revamp my classroom once I was reassigned to first grade.  I didn't want to spend a TON of money but knew that I was a little 'OCD' when it came to organization and coordination! :)  This is what I've come up with:
 Since my kiddos are in first grade now we no longer need those little cubbies, so I turned them into our class library!  I got all the baskets at the Dollar Tree (one of my all time favorite places to shop now).  They have really adorable stamps right now that are perfect for teachers!
 I am a member of Thistlegirl Designs, DJ Inkers, and recently Scrappin' Doodles.  That is where I purchased all my graphics from!  I'm truly OBSESSED now!!  I got the idea to place corresponding stickers inside each book from Michelle over at Fantastic First Grade! It's such a great visual and a great way for the kids to help keep the book nook nice and organized! 
 Above is a picture of my student's "book luggage."  This is used with our Daily Five.  I purchased the baskets from none other than the Dollar Tree and made the cute little luggage tag with a die-cut! Simple, easy, and cute!
Inside their book luggage are 'just right books,' some of their decodable books, a reading strategy bookmark, 'magic reading glasses (purchased from the Dollar Tree, lenses taken out), and an eyelighter. I've since placed a coaching sheet for when they are buddy reading.  After doing some blogging earlier I will be adding some more goodies to their book luggage!  I found some really great ideas from Brooke over at Primary Perspective.  Be sure to check it out if you are also using the Daily Five in your classroom!  Cute, cute stuff! 

6 comments:

  1. Too cute! Do you happen to have the reading strategy bookmark that you could share?

    Thanks!

    Cathy
    ecspedteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    Unfortunately, I snagged that cute little bookmark from a fellow teachers website last year and can NOT remember who it was to SAVE MY LIFE!!!!! :( I will continue to look and will create one in the next week to share with you!

    Thanks,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the "Book Luggage." How cute!!!!! Great idea!!!!!

    Alexandra
    http://thefirstgradesweetlife.blogspot.com/

    p.s. Isn't Dollar Tree the best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book Luggage.....so cute, what a great idea especially with the luggage tag. Love your blog :)
    Monica
    http://footballnut-mikey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book luggage idea. I am going to start Daily 5/Cafe this year. I'm nervous cuz I don't like change but...when it benefits the kiddos, I'm all about it:) I'm a follower:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea... the baskets look so nice and clean and organized!
    Lory
    Lory's Page

    ReplyDelete

I {puffy heart} comments!!!!