Image Map

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thanksgiving Books

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year!  I just love doing all things holiday-themed.  If I'm able to find a craftivity to do to coincide with a book we're ready...I do it.  Here are some of my favorite books. 
(photo credit: Cara from The First Grade Parade)
After seeing this reader's response writing and craft from Cara, I immediately bought the book The Littlest Pilgrim.  It is a cute story about a little pilgrim girl who is too little to do anything on the farm but in the end has the best job. The story provides great opportunity for character analysis. 
I just snagged an amazing shared reading freebie from Michelle based on this story.  The Littlest Pilgrim has become a Thanksgiving staple in my classroom.

(Click book to check it out)

I love scarecrows!  When I think of fall, I think of scarecrows, pumpkins, and turkeys! The Scarecrow Boy is a book I have been reading every Thanksgiving since my internship.  It's a cute story about a little scarecrow boy who wants to be like his Dad.  He struggles throughout the book but learns a sweet lesson at the end of the story.  It's just cute!

(Click picture to check it out)

Of course, I must do a little craftivity with it!  I like to do a directed project with my kinders.  We make "shape scarecrows."  I love it because it's an easy assessment on who knows their basic shapes.  Plus they're just cute!

(I apologize for making you have to tilt your head to look at it!)
I talked about this activity a little more HERE.

This year I'm really excited to read this book:

(Click image to check it out)
I'm sure I'll do some sort of reader's response with it.  Stay tuned.  I'll take pictures! :)

After reading some other blog posts, I have added many new books to my growing pile of adorable Thanksgiving-themed books to read!  

Check out some more at the Teacher's Cauldron!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I {puffy heart} comments!!!!