Image Map

Friday, January 14, 2011

This week...

This has been such a fun week!  In my first grade classroom we wrapped up our unit on Penguins and continued our unit on Martin Luther King!  My kids are LOVING learning all about Martin.  Yesterday one of my sweet girls cried during one of our nonfictional stories about Dr. King.  It was so sweet and touching. 
Below is a wreath that we created for MLK Day.  I was so impressed.  MY STUDENTS were the ones who came up with the idea for a wreath of many colors, to use their hands, and to write the saying "we are all equal!"  I could not be more proud of my kiddos!

This is a penguin idea that I snagged from another great teacher.  After discussing what a habitat was and where a penguin's habitat is they filled out the paper and painted their penguin in it's habitat.  Any day we get to paint is a good day! :)
I have some extremely artistic kids in my class this year and they LOVE to do art work!  We created these penguins by simply tearing apart pieces of paper and gluing them together!  They did such a fabulous job of this! After they created their penguin they had to write a story about them!  They came up with names, where they lived, and worked on adding lots of detail to their stories!  

 This is one of our Martin projects we created this week.  This idea stemmed from a unit from Chalk Talk!  I had my kids write 'peace' or 'love' on the heart, then we cut around them to make a cloud shape.  We put these on our classroom windows with the title "I have a dream" next to them.  The idea is that the words are representing what Martin dreamed about for our country.  The clouds represent the word dream and the hand colors...well you know what that's about! :)

 We have been working on introducing each component of the Daily Five upon arriving back from the Holiday Break.  Here's a peak at my SWEEEEET kiddos Buddy Reading!  I got goosebumps listening to them read to each other and listening to them "coach" each other when they came to words they didn't know!  They are so sweet to each other!  Love them!


I must say I LOVE FIRST GRADE!!  :)  Happy Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I {puffy heart} comments!!!!