Image Map

Friday, January 3, 2014

The better me!

2013 was the year of baby.  Starting in February last year, I began my 'go big or go home' workout routine to get my butt in the best shape I could come June (when we were going to start trying…yes, we had everything 'scheduled' out).  Like my dear friend, Kelley, I was athletic my whole childhood.  When I first got pregnant, I started doing some 'preggo yoga' but with morning sickness and such it didn't happen as often as I would have liked.  
Then, in October the 'tragedy' happened and well, I didn't do much.  Lies…I did nothing.  For the past 3 months I have not lifted a finger.

I literally carried a box of decodables from the front of my school to my classroom two days ago (which is practically part of the neighboring middle school rather than my actual campus) and my arms were sore the whole next day. 
 That is not okay.  At all.  When you're a smaller person every.single.pound shows.  I've gained 5 pounds (like I said, every pound shows) and have lost all definition/tone/athleticism.  In three months!  Last night was my 'no more' moment.  As I got ready for my nephews birthday dinner, I couldn't find anything to wear.  Not because I was being picky, but because I couldn't fit into anything. Confession: I wore a belly band. No more!

**********************

So I wrote that top part BEFORE I went to my first workout in, well…you read.
Let me tell you, that workout was not pretty.  Even after 4 hours, my legs and arms are still jello.  I must admit though.  It felt oh so good!!  

My goal (I don't' make resolutions…I'm never good at keeping them, then I get depressed and throw the whole thing out. I have to make lots of little, short term goals) this month is to be healthy. That means working out no less than 3 days (any day after 3 is a *bonus*) a week, getting more rest, and eating as healthy as I can (whatever that may be).  


Eating healthy …. my goal this last week was to have a 'green' smoothie every day this week.  I accomplished that goal, so I'm going to continue it but this time I'm going to add a lot more veggies to my smoothies. :)  I use the NutriBullet and love it! It comes with three cups sizes, lids, removable handles, and tons of recipes!  So far, so good! The pretty tumbler and festive straw always help

This is a great reference for making smoothies.

Click image to see full image

Here are my two favorite's so far:




I also add Flax Seed and Chai Seed to mine for added boost! :)

Here's how I plan to keep it up…

1. I took pictures of myself for 'before' shots.  NO, you can't see them!!!!!!  I only showed my "biffer" (best friend for lifer) and any time I'm feeling lazy and need motivation she will only say this to me "before,"  but her snarl and glare will scare me enough into going! Ha!  Point being, find someone or something to be your constant motivation and accountability partner.  You need them. At least until you start making it a habit and go without any whining or retrain.

2.  Continue to set realistic short term goals.  I set goals by the day/week/month.  No more than a month though.  This way I feel a sense of accomplishment each and every day.  When I set long-term goals, I get unmotivated quick, especially without fast results.  Then, I get mad at myself and the downward spiral into unhealthy hell unleashes.  It is what it is.  

3.  Preparation.  This is key in my success.

Click the image to head to original image AND to find smoothie recipes!

I'm a lazy person.  I just am.  If my job could be just living, I would nail it!  But that's not my job or my life so preparation will save me.  I plan on preparing all my smoothies and lunches for the week on Sundays.  I will be more likely to eat better and continue my success if I'm prepared.  Just like teaching.  You are always a better teacher when you're prepared. 
Well, I'm going to be a better ME because I'm prepared. Dangit!

You're hearing (well, reading) it first here… 2014 will be the year of Kelly! :)


Feeling motivated and need some more inspiration?  Click below!



6 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I loved every bit of this post!!! Huge hugs my friend. We can do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    I'm lazy, too! Sometimes it takes me literally all day to talk myself into going to the gym. :) I agree that preparation is the key, especially with healthy eating. My goal this year is to make my lunch every evening before I go to bed so it's easy to grab and take to school in the morning. Good luck with your goals!

    Lauren
    Love, Laughter and Learning in Prep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the smoothie recipes! I LOVE smoothies in the mornings and have been trying to find a new favorite. I will definitely try these ones. Loved the post. I linked to Blog Hoppin too! That's where I found your page. :)

    Amanda
    Daisy Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the smoothies! Great breakfast to drink on the way to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too know the feeling of body deterioration....it is amazing how quickly it occurs! My goal is to be healthier this year. I love the smoothie recipes you posted and cannot wait to try the Toxin Cleansing Boost. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I {puffy heart} comments!!!!